Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Farewell to Rising Star

Today was our last full day here at Rising Star.  Tomorrow morning we are off for Chennai to do a little shopping and then flying out to Varanasi early Friday morning.  Here are some of the things that I will miss here at Rising Star Outreach that happened just today...

Reading and tutoring with the kids each day

The beautiful land all around us

Playing on the playground during play time

Reading stories to the kids at night before bed

And so much more!!!  I will miss the wonderful people who volunteer and work here.  I will miss their examples, their love, and their kindness.  Most especially, I will miss these sweet little kids' voices and will forever hear ringing in my head, "Aunty, Aunty!"

There are a few things that I won't miss.... most especially, having access to very little food!!!!!  I feel like I've been living off of red rice and eggs for the past 3 weeks and I am so ready for something different!  Sure I've lost a ton of weight, but this whole starvation diet is kinda gettin' old! ;)

I will not miss Indian toilets - yeah, that's the floor... and these are nice ones! 
(although I am sure that I will have many more opportunities to use them the rest of this week).

I will not miss having a cold bucket shower each morning.

All in all, the things that I will miss far surpass the things I will not miss.  I have grown to love and care about each of these children.  It continually amazes me the amount of work, love, and time that has gone into this place to make it magnificent.  This is a solution and I hope that it is a solution that can one day expand in the world.  I just pray that I might find my place in the solution.

Farewell, Rising Star!

P.S.  Just as a bit of a disclaimer, who knows when I will be able to update my blog going forward.  We are off to Varanasi until Sunday, then to Agra to see the Taj Mahal.  On Monday we will be in Bhutan for 5 days.  I am sure that we will find access to the internet at some point each day, but buckle up just in case!  Keep looking at my Flickr photo stream because that's where all my pictures are!  Love to everyone!

Here's one of my favorite videos from Rising Star - a little 3 year-old who is ADORABLE 
and likes to twirl!!!

1 comment:

  1. How nostalgic -- I went to school w/ "toilets" like that in Japanese elementary :) CAN'T WAIT to hear about Bhutan. Give it a hug for me...

    - Sachi

    ReplyDelete