Today was a short day - only 3 hours of trekking, and almost all downhill!!!! We had breakfast this morning looking out at the gorgeous Mount Annapurna and its nearby peaks. I finally discovered the best breakfast EVER here - rice pudding! Since I can't eat carbs and need energy, I've been eating eggs or potatoes for almost every meal. Today I realized that rice pudding and hot chocolate are filling and tasty! Their rice pudding here isn't too sweet - mostly like a cereal, so it is just right with some cinnamon.
We set out on the trail and saw a sign that read "Do not walk alone in the jungle." Jen and I learned in Bhutan that jungle usually means forest and the translation is changed somewhere along the way. Today I discovered that Nepal has just about every climate that you can think of right here on this circuit! We seriously walked through this beautiful jungle with mossy trees, streams, and monkeys playing in the trees. It was just gorgeous!
Today was all downhill and although there was no more ice or snow, it was a bit slick. I lost my footing more than once and only fell once on my rump (but embarrassingly enough it was on dry rock stairs). Good times! I can feel the aches in my body today from that first day of crazy uphill. My body just wants a rest, but I think it is good that we are still moving and getting the muscles moving.
The town we are staying in today is my favorite thus far. The town is called Ghandrung (elevation 2040 meters). It is quaint and nestled on the side of a mountain with terraced fields and breathtaking views of the mountains that jut up behind. My legs felt like jello after just 3 hours of going downhill on mostly stairs or slippery little rocks. We pulled into our Annapurna Guest House and ordered lunch. I tried something new this time - potato egg salad. It was actually really good and somewhat similar to potato salad! I haven't been super hungry out here and usually eat the same thing for lunch and dinner - potato soup. You can't go wrong with it - it has a lot of flavor and is tasty and I love it. I guess that I am a bit over the potato soup and ready for some different food.
Today Jen and I got warm showers - our first since Bhutan. It was so nice to wash my hair and feel clean for a minute and then try to figure out how to dry off my entire body and my long thick hair with my teeny little hand towel that I brought - good times!
I am so looking forward to tomorrow being our last day! 5 hours of trekking and then an evening in Pokhara. SO CLOSE!!!
We set out on the trail and saw a sign that read "Do not walk alone in the jungle." Jen and I learned in Bhutan that jungle usually means forest and the translation is changed somewhere along the way. Today I discovered that Nepal has just about every climate that you can think of right here on this circuit! We seriously walked through this beautiful jungle with mossy trees, streams, and monkeys playing in the trees. It was just gorgeous!
Today was all downhill and although there was no more ice or snow, it was a bit slick. I lost my footing more than once and only fell once on my rump (but embarrassingly enough it was on dry rock stairs). Good times! I can feel the aches in my body today from that first day of crazy uphill. My body just wants a rest, but I think it is good that we are still moving and getting the muscles moving.
The town we are staying in today is my favorite thus far. The town is called Ghandrung (elevation 2040 meters). It is quaint and nestled on the side of a mountain with terraced fields and breathtaking views of the mountains that jut up behind. My legs felt like jello after just 3 hours of going downhill on mostly stairs or slippery little rocks. We pulled into our Annapurna Guest House and ordered lunch. I tried something new this time - potato egg salad. It was actually really good and somewhat similar to potato salad! I haven't been super hungry out here and usually eat the same thing for lunch and dinner - potato soup. You can't go wrong with it - it has a lot of flavor and is tasty and I love it. I guess that I am a bit over the potato soup and ready for some different food.
Today Jen and I got warm showers - our first since Bhutan. It was so nice to wash my hair and feel clean for a minute and then try to figure out how to dry off my entire body and my long thick hair with my teeny little hand towel that I brought - good times!
I am so looking forward to tomorrow being our last day! 5 hours of trekking and then an evening in Pokhara. SO CLOSE!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment