Dear Teacher friends of mine,
I don't know how you do it! Day after day, week after week, year after year. You prepare lessons, put up with wild children, teach, discipline, and run organized classes full of children who actually learn. May you be blessed for your greatness and goodness!
I always thought that I wanted to be a teacher and then that whole idea was changed single-handedly today. The 1st grade teacher is gone this week, so Jen and I stood in for her for the first 4 periods today teaching reading, writing, English, and Math. It started out cute as they were sounding out their letters and writing in their books and let's just say that it ended with 3 children in tears because they were bored (and I think Jen and I weren't too far off), numerous students complaining of other children "beating" them (hitting), kids wandering around the classroom, lots of "if you can hear me touch your nose" games. Yeah. It wasn't pretty. It turned out to be a babysitting session for 4 hours of 20 kids instead of teaching. Any time that another teacher or a house mother would come in the room, they would immediately listen, be quiet, and do their homework, but the second they left, it was WAR!!!!
I love children. I love Rising Star. Today I seriously wanted to run away from the little hellions that are the 1st grade class. Bless their little hearts! I came back to my room and fell asleep for 2+ hours. My voice which is already super raspy from my cold was close to gone.
Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes and much more patience! Maybe they'll even learn something from school.....
No comments:
Post a Comment